08/22/26 01:26:00
Printable Page
08/22 13:24 CDT All Blacks stun South Africa 33-16 at Ellis Park and snap
Springboks' 12-test win streak
All Blacks stun South Africa 33-16 at Ellis Park and snap Springboks' 12-test
win streak
JOHANNESBURG (AP) --- New Zealand stunned South Africa 33-16 at Ellis Park on
Saturday and drew first blood in their historic four-test series.
After surviving a ferocious first half to trail only 13-12, the All Blacks'
resolve hardened by new coach Dave Rennie and age-old ability to produce
something from nothing turned a tense contest into a rout by five tries to
South Africa's one.
A scrum that was blown away in the first half eventually held firm in the
second half and was the platform for New Zealand's last two tries in the last
quarter.
South Africa paid for failing to take its many chances when it had New Zealand
on the ropes in the first half, and to a crashing halt came South Africa's
12-test winning streak that began by handing New Zealand its heaviest ever
defeat, 43-10, in Wellington 11 months ago.
The Springboks scrum was better than advertised until props Ox Nch and Wilco
Louw were substituted. An overconfidence in the set-piece made South Africa
waive off numerous kickable penalties at altitude to try and bury the All
Blacks with tries. But a backline that struggled to string any passes was
easily corralled, putting too much on the likes of forwards Jasper Wiese,
Malcolm Marx and Paul de Villiers to produce something.
When New Zealand returned the pressure in the second half, South Africa gave
away two yellow cards in the span of a minute and finished with 13 men. The
tension in a packed Ellis Park deflated in the last 10 minutes as Springbok
supporters realized a comeback wasn't possible.
"We shot ourselves in the foot," Boks captain Pieter-Steph du Toit said.
"Unfortunately, in a game like this, small errors count."
The series moves to sea level in Cape Town next Saturday and New Zealand is the
surprising front-runner in the first full series between the teams in 30 years.
The turning point was just before the hour. Cheslin Kolbe had converted another
scrum penalty into a 16-12 lead but, from the restart, New Zealand lock Fabian
Holland charged down scrumhalf Grant Williams for a converted try and 19-16.
Two more scrum penalties pinned New Zealand in its 22 and flyhalf Sacha
Feinberg-Mngomezulu was held up over the tryline. The Boks had a five-meter
attacking scrum but, for the first time in the match, they were penalized for
wheeling against New Zealand's replacement front row of George Bower, Asafo
Aumua and Fletcher Newell.
"The reserve front row that came on, I think we probably owe them a beer," All
Blacks scrumhalf Cam Roigard said. "We got a lot of energy from that."
Fullback Damian McKenzie made a huge run from his own half and Roigard barely
missed the bouncing ball in goal. The attack cost South Africa an injury to
Kolbe and exposed the limits of its 6-2 bench split with Williams going to the
wing.
Given a five-meter attacking scrum, New Zealand was steadfast and flanker Luke
Jacobson scored by blasting through du Toit. Ruben Love's third conversion made
it 28-16 with a quarter to go.
English referee Matthew Carley, who had previously overseen South Africa win
three of these matchups, frequently over-ruled TMO Mike Adamson. One big call
was to yellow card Marco van Staden for cynical play on his tryline,
superseding a high tackle by New Zealand captain Ardie Savea on Wiese.
Van Staden was joined in the sin-bin in the next minute by Cobus Reinach for a
deliberate knock-on. New Zealand, on attack, ironically chose to scrum and
Savea's high miss-out pass gave unmarked winger Will Jordan the last try and
his second of the match.
Carley had a firm hand from the start.
New Zealand's Codie Taylor teed up the first penalty by Kolbe but South Africa
lock Eben Etzebeth's high tackle put New Zealand on attack. Roigard and Jordan,
playing their first match on tour, combined to score beside the right corner
flag.
The points came quick. Hybrid Andr Esterhuizen, just arrived to replace
Kurt-Lee Arendse, touched down and South Africa led 10-5.
Trampled by Esterhuizen, winger Josh Moorby in his first test against South
Africa supported a touchline break by Tupou Vaa'i to score and New Zealand led
for a second time at 12-10.
But the rest of the second quarter was South Africa's and New Zealand somehow
conceded only a second Kolbe penalty and not 10 points, at least.
Jordie Barrett knocked the ball from the grasp of Malcolm Marx as he was
driving over the line. The effort to stem the Springboks cost New Zealand
forwards Ethan de Groot and Josh Lord, who suffered head injuries trying to
tackle Wiese.
They reached halftime hanging on, barely.
___
See AP's full rugby coverage here
|